It’s the end of week 1 in my 90 day journey. And honestly, I’ve never felt so good. Ok time for a recap.
Let’s start with just a basic overview . . . I would have to say that this week has definitely been one of the most challenging weeks that I could have started this. Not because working out is hard (it is) or because eating well is more difficult than thought of (it is – ish) but because of my job.
Some may already know that I work in the veterinary field. And just like anything in any sort of medical field, the job is definitely trying. Physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausting and especially so for an introvert like myself. This leads to not wanting to cook, wanting to sleep in, not drinking enough water during work, and the urge to stress-eat. All of these things are absolutely NOT ok if you’re trying to workout, eat well, and build up a generally healthier life. In other words, it makes this 90 day journey a beast to tackle in some moments. But that’s why this journey is so important for me.
Stress definitely has made keeping motivation up REALLY hard – and on Thursday I almost let it win. I skipped my workout on Thursday, which as I mentioned that day, usually leads to the ultimate giving up and breaking of the streak. I made the choice to break the cycle and I made sure I got up Friday morning and I. Worked. Out. AND I made myself workout Saturday after work AND today! I am so proud of myself just for making it this far, and that itself is more than enough fuel to keep me going.
I think I realized and saw the biggest difference in my overall state of mind this week. Because even though I had a rough time at work, I was still feeling pretty good. It wasn’t until Thursday – the one day that I skipped out – that I felt absolutely miserable. Was work more stressful that day? Maybe. But I am also 99.9% positive that, had I worked out even a little bit, I would have been in a better mood. I even mentioned to Zach after my Friday routine that I felt the endorphins starting to kick in during and after my workouts! I was starting to enjoy the workouts, and even SMILING. Crazy huh?
So let’s get down to the finer details. Let’s break it down . . .
What Did I Do?
- Follow along w/ Blogilates’ March workout calendar daily, then following up with a stretching yoga routine from SarahBethYoga (both on YouTube) for a cool down.
- Drank either a Bang or Reign preworkout/energy drink prior to and kind of during my workouts (definitely kept me from feeling burned out mid way and absolutely gave me what I needed to get up and workout first thing in the morning!)
- Got generally around 8ish hours of sleep every night
- Drank almost or an entire gallon of water DAILY!
- Watched calories, but was not super restrictive. I didn’t want my first week to be too rough, but I for sure made the choice to stay away from more sweets, and made more of an effort to eat more veggies.
- Cut back on coffee. This was an unexpected side effect of drinking an energy drink in the morning for preworkout. Turns out, I feel better and more awake with an energy drink & that workout high!
Like I mentioned, I didn’t want to make my first week too rough or restrictive. I figured that I’d start with making myself workout daily, then slowly integrate more strict rules/methods. Turns out I also didn’t have to try very hard to keep my calories in check either, as I’ve been trying to get more protein into my diet. So I frequently had a protein shake or protein bar which helped keep me full – and the bars served as a great snack between meals to keep me from reaching from the candy at work. This week I definitely plan on trying to reach for healthy snack and more veggies.
Now time for some numbers . . . I know I said that I only intended on taking my measurements once a month, and weigh myself daily, but I got curious (because to be honest my scrub pants started fitting looser already!) so I figured why not?
Week 1 Measurements
- Weight: 177.2 lb ( -3.2 lb)
- Chest: 38 “ (+/- 0)
- Right Arm: 13.5 (+/- 0)
- Left Arm: 13.5 (+/- 0)
- Right Thigh: 25.5” (-0.9”)
- Left Thigh: 25.75” (-0.5”)
- Waist: 32.5” (-1”)
- Muffin Top: 38” (-1”)
- Hips: 42” (-1.4”)
That’s a total of 4.85” lost all over!
So there we are guys. Week 1 down! I’m feeling really damn great right now. I can’t wait to see what week 2 has in store.